How I work from home productively

If you're used to working in an office environment, the prospect of having to suddenly work from home due to the coronavirus outbreak might seem a bit daunting. 

You might wonder if you'll manage to be as productive as you would in the office or whether you'll accidentally end up sprawled on the sofa in your pyjamas watching Netflix.You absolutely can be productive at home, though it can be quite easy to get distracted if you aren't strict with yourself.

There are some measures I put in place when working from home (due to my chronic illnesses) to make sure I use my time effectively. Personally, I often find that I actually get more done this way as there are no people around to distract me and I'm more comfortable whilst in pain. I appreciate that not everyone will feel that way.

It's a real shame it has taken a global health crisis to get the UK working more flexibly. I hope the measures put in place at this time have a positive long term effect for those who could really benefit from the option to work from home.

Prepare

First and foremost, you need to make sure you have the tools you need to work from home. Do this now if you think there is a possibility it could happen in your workplace. Don't wait for it to be enforced.
This could include:

  • A personal or work laptop/computer with all of the software you need
  • An effective internet connection
  • Access to work files via the cloud
  • Remote access to work emails
  • A phone or Skype account that colleagues/associates can contact you on
  • A chair and table you can comfortably work from


Routine

Stick to your usual morning routine as much as possible. I have to anyway because I have to help get the kids ready and out of the door on time, but I find it really helps to get me into the mindset of the working day. I might not put the same sort of clothes on or spend as much time on my hair, but I still get up, wash, and have breakfast at the usual times. 

Plan

I make a detailed schedule for the day, more so than I would at the office. This helps me to keep track of time, stay productive but also to not get carried away and work for much longer than I should. I make a prioritised to-do list so I know what I need to tackle first.

Breaks

Make sure you include breaks in your schedule (in line with your working hours/break allocation in the office) and do something away from your computer. You could sit in the garden for a little while, do a short exercise video or read a chapter of a book.


Environment

For me the biggest distraction at home is looking around at mess that I could be tidying. I don't want to fall into the trap of 'just tidying this up' and finding three hours later that I have a sparkling house but have done no work. 
I have a living room/diner so in the morning I make the kids tidy their toys up before they leave (life lessons, obvs) and then I set myself up at the dining table and close the doors on any mess beyond that area. I always open the curtains/blinds to let some light in, and get a nice view of my garden through the patio doors.

Background noise

I work better with a bit of background noise, so I usually put the radio on quietly while I work. Currently, with my raised anxiety over coronavirus, I am avoiding the radio and excessive COVID-19 content by listening to Spotify or YouTube instead. This is down to personal choice - some people prefer silence. 

Social media

Avoid accessing it at all, except during scheduled breaks, if you can. I work in communications so I can't do that, but I schedule in time to monitor/post social media content on the work channels and try my best not to access it outside of those times unless there's a situation unfolding that needs more regular attention.


Eating

If you can, set out your day's snack allocation in the morning and plan what to have for lunch. I should do this, but I don't always. I sometimes find myself constantly pouching on snacks and then by lunchtime I'm not even hungry. I really should take my own advice on that one...


What if schools/nurseries close?

Good question. This will be a challenge, if/when it happens. Aside from the fact my company's policy prohibits WFH when in charge of children, my two are loud and demanding. I suspect if it comes to that my husband and I will have to tag-team, one person working upstairs and the other placating the offspring. We would probably have to make up lost working hours in the evenings or at the weekend. JOY. Needs, must. 


I just want to finish by saying that these are very testing times and people are dealing with it in very different ways. Try to be understanding.  Look after yourself, and each other. 

Sam x

Comments

Popular Posts