The bittersweet moments of parenting


This week my 22 month old moved from a cot to a toddler bed. She's really tall and was just about able to hook her leg over the bars so we thought we had better make the swap before she had an accident. She is a bit of a wildling and has zero fear, so it was a likely prospect.

Seeing her climb eagerly onto her "big girl's bed" with a big grin on her face was so heartwarming, but at the same time made me wonder where on earth my little baby has gone. It made me reflect on all of the bittersweet moments that happen as our children grow. Of course we love to see them learn and develop, but we also mourn the things we lose as a result - sleepy newborn cuddles, cute toddler speak, a child who can't read the very grown up word you are writing in a message to your friend!

 

Here are some of the milestones that have felt bittersweet for me.

Baby/child moving into their own room

Whatever age you moved your child (current guidelines) and whatever the motive, it always feels so strange at first. For me there was joy in having our room back to ourselves, not taken over by the crib/cot, nappies, wipes etc. But not being able to open my eyes and see their chest rising and falling, not being able to smell their gorgeous baby smell as I drift off, was a little sad.

Growing out of babygrows

Is there anything cuter that little baby feet in cosy babygrows? Both of my children are very large for their age so were still babies when I could no longer find babygrows to fit, which was so sad. I have kept a few of their old ones to get out and shed a tear over when they are bigger 😄.


Their first birthday

It's such a joy to celebrate your child's first birthday, but again is brings those feelings of wondering where your little newborn has gone. That first year flies so fast, doesn't it?

Learning to say words properly

I've got some really fond memories of how my eldest used to pronounce words as a toddler/preschooler. He used to call pepperoni 'Pedro Pony' - yes, like the Peppa Pig character. He also couldn't say his name properly for a long time, so his pronunciation became his nickname. I was gutted when he started saying it properly. Thankfully we had a chance to resurrect it, as that's now what his little sister calls him!

Their first day at school

Sending your child to school for the first time is exciting and nerve-wracking. You swell with pride at them looking smart in their school uniform and then break your heart about your 'baby' growing up. It's inevitable. Take tissues.


No longer carrying around their favourite toy/comforter

W has always had a thing for toy pandas. Ikea toy pandas, to be precise. He has six regular size ones and one very large one. He used to take one absolutely everywhere, then it became just 'new' places or places he was wary of. Now he hardly ever takes one. Sad times.

Going into a toilet cubicle on their own

Once I'd survived potty training with W (now 6yo) I didn't really expect there to be any further toilet-related milestones. Then one day, when we were eating out somewhere, he came to the toilet with me and locked himself in a cubicle to do his business. Alone. It took me a few seconds to realise that he had been in Reception for a few months by this point so this was normal for him, but it totally took me by surprise. I had privacy, at last. I also had anxiety that he might get locked in the cubicle, get kidnapped or flush himself down the toilet...  


My eldest child is only six, so I know I've got many more of these moments to come in the future - puberty, their first love, leaving school, graduating University. I'd love to hear about your bittersweet parenting moments - let me know in the comments!

Sam x

Comments

Popular Posts