How my health has improved during lockdown

For a few years now I've used home working to manage bad pain/fatigue days, so I'm not sure why I'm so surprised to find that my health has improved during lockdown.

I think I assumed because it would be difficult to balance homeworking and parenting (and it is, trust me) that it would have a negative effect on my chronic health conditions. It turns out that isn't the case for me.

This tiny tyrant pinched my glasses and hopped into my work chair 

Chronic illness is a huge spectrum, with many different conditions, symptoms and levels of limitation. I'm one of those that is fortunate to be able to lead a mostly 'normal' life, but sometimes that's my curse. What is often considered a normal life these days is being constantly on the go, packing as much as you can into your waking hours. I hold myself to that standard far too often, under normal circumstances. I forget that it doesn't have to be that way. I forget that I'm allowed to slow down.

Self care 


Once we had settled into lockdown and the initial rush of anxiety had eased a little, I started to really concentrate on looking after myself. There was, and still is, so much dialogue about looking after yourself during lockdown and I finally recognised that I needed to do that. The silly thing is, I've needed it for years - but something about the pandemic allowed me to give myself permission to concentrate on me. 

Although life is difficult right now with our working routine and missing family and friends, I find that the mental load is actually a bit lighter. I have less life admin, as we don't have to get ready for work/school/childminders, worry about remembering homework, remember to fill in this form or pay this donation, organise after school activities, and figure out how to fit in quality time together at the weekend. Our needs are more basic.

This Prawn Curry from the Healthy Dieters cookbook was delicious

I've been using cooking as a self care tool, as I really enjoy it and am a foodie at heart. As a result of this, we're all eating more nutritional meals that are cooked from scratch. Yes, I'm eating more treats than before, but I am balancing it out with healthier meals. I also started taking supplements regularly, as I tend to be deficient in iron & vitamin D. 

Exercise 


My first Couch to 5k run

For the first time in my life, I'm enjoying regular, purposeful exercise every day. Previously, I would spend up to two hours just walking the school run or doing the commute - but as mornings are fraught with stress and urgency, this wasn't the therapeutic exercise I needed. It was tiring, physically and mentally, but without the benefits of a proper workout. 

Recognising I needed to get moving, I started slowly by doing daily physio exercises for my core, as my giant children (10lb 4.5oz and 8lb 14oz) have ruined my abdominal muscles. I then added in some short yoga sequences, to help stretch out my fatigued aching muscles. This has made a huge difference to my overall pain levels. 

My toddler likes to crash my yoga sessions 

When my workplace set a step counting challenge I became strangely competitive, which is unusual for me. I wanted to do well, to keep up with my team and not let the side down. First I started walking more, then I decided to go for it and start the Couch to 5K Programme. I was worried this might cause a pain flare up, but it's really quite gentle and I'm feeling great! 

Currently I'm running three times a week at 6am before I start work, and on the other days I do a yoga workout of varying lengths/difficulty depending on how I feel. I try to get out for a walk with the kids a few times a week and we usually do a long walk at the weekend. I do occasionally dabble in a bit of trampling in the garden, too! Each night I do a short yoga stretch as soon as the kids are asleep. 

The benefit of being at home is that I have the choice - I can choose to workout or rest as my body needs it. I don't feel forced to drag myself out of the door if I'm in pain.

Feeling the benefits 


Throughout all of this progress, I have found my anxiety and my mood have improved hugely. I've also found I need painkillers a lot less. Previously I was having to take paracetamol 3-4 times every day, now I might take it once, if at all. I know this won't be the case for everyone with chronic illness - a few years ago there's no way I could have exercised like this - but right now it is working well for me. More than anything, I'm proud of myself for finally taking care of my body properly. I mean, it took a pandemic, but still... yay me. 

I loved this plant that we found on one of our walks

It looks like I'm going to be home-working for a good while yet and I'm not sending my kids back to school and childcare at the moment (and I acknowledge I am very lucky to have this option) so I'm hoping to keep up my new healthier routine. My challenge will be to keep it going once those things change, whenever that may be. What I really don't want to do is slip right back to looking after everyone but myself.

How has your health been during lockdown? Have you found any unexpected benefits? Let me know in the comments. 

Comments

Popular Posts