How the pandemic brought me back to writing


I've always been a sucker for a good story. Reading them, hearing them and writing them. So, I'm going to tell you the story of how I rediscovered writing this past year. But first, I'll tell you how I lost it.

Mini bookworm

One of my earliest memories of literature is sitting in class at around six years old and sifting through a plastic tub of books. I remember feeling proud to be choosing from the box with the highest reading level. Reading came naturally to me, as did writing.

From then on, I would devour books whenever I could. At every birthday and Christmas new stories would land on my bookshelves. 

I always loved writing stories and poems, and was praised for my writing in school. Sadly, I didn't have the confidence to pursue that as a career. I didn't think I was good enough, or that I could earn a living from it. 

A detour to journalism

I knew I had talent as a writer, so I decided to take a shot at a career in journalism. I graduated with an undergraduate degree in News Journalism from the University of Sunderland just over a decade ago.

During my degree, it became obvious that a career in hard-hitting journalism wasn't for me. I loved the writing side of it but there were elements that, as a shy and anxious person, were just not up my street. I remember being horrified to learn about 'death knocks' - an industry term for when you knock on the door of a bereaved family to try and extract their tragic story to sell newspapers. That's not for me. 

An evolution into marketing

After my degree I moved into public relations, then into wider marketing. Writing was still a big part of my job, but I enjoyed learning and working on the wider aspects of marketing. 

Marketing is an ever-evolving industry and the move towards more digital marketing is an understandable one. However, once COVID hit, I found my day job was consumed entirely by all things digital. There was no other option. Over the past year, I have spent less and less time writing as a result. At some point I realised that I was really missing it. 

Don't take this to mean I hate my job - I don't at all. I work in the arts and culture sector and I really believe in the things I'm promoting. Plus, I know once normal service resumes that there will be exciting things to talk and write about again.

What I've discovered

With spending more time at home, came inevitable boredom. Trust me when I say I'm not short of things to do with a home and two young children to care for. What I was missing was stimulation - something enjoyable that would help me escape the stress and anxiety of living through a pandemic. 

I dabbled with different forms of creativity - colouring, drawing, crafting and writing. I enjoyed them all, but writing sparked something in me.

What I've realised is that writing is truly important to my wellbeing, as is reading. When I had this epiphany I wondered if I'd missed my chance to 'be a writer'. I scorned myself for not taking Creative Writing as my degree - for not believing in myself earlier.

After ruminating on this for a few weeks, and with a few pep talks from family and friends, I wondered if maybe it wasn't too late after all. The writer has always been in me, but maybe now I have the life experience and the tools to truly pursue it. 

Once I had decided I wanted to start writing again, there was no going back. It has been a long time since I felt such a hunger and enthusiasm for something. I started to consume as much writing and craft advice as possible. I've taken mini online courses, listened to podcasts and read as much as I can before I pass out in a heap on the sofa each night. 

It took some months before I felt ready to actually put pencil to paper again. Yes, I favour a good, old fashioned pencil. I feel such a relief now that I have started. Sure, it still won't pay my bills for some time yet (or maybe ever), but that doesn't matter if it is making me happy. 

Future writing plans

As it happens, I am writing this post after having my first full day dedicated to writing. This was made possible by putting my daughter into nursery for an extra day. I have a few more writing days scheduled in over the next month or so, and I'm really looking forward to them already.

I spent my day reading, writing and researching. I also attended my first write-in with a writing group. I even found time for a yoga session. It has felt like a mini retreat and, though I have worked hard, I feel rejuvenated. 

It has been wonderful to have the space to experiment, and to really think about what I want to write and who for. I think it will take some time to settle on what I want to write, but what I am settled on is that I want to write for me. If anyone else finds they want to read my words, then that's just a huge bonus. 

Sam x


Share

Have you made any discoveries about yourself during the pandemic? If you'd like to see more from me you can follow me on InstagramFacebook or Twitter



Comments

Popular Posts