Nine ways to get creative and improve your wellbeing

A drawing of a green dinosaur and an orange dinosaur
My dinosaurs from my Draw with Rob tutorial


This week is both Mental Health Awareness Week and Creativity & Wellbeing Week. I work in the cultural sector and have always believed that arts and culture is good for wellbeing, but I didn't realise just how much I'd enjoy being creative myself. 

A few years ago I did my first pottery class with a North East based company called Muddy Fingers Pottery. I absolutely loved it and found it really therapeutic. Concentrating fully on what I was making really helped me escape my anxious brain for a few hours. 

Fast forward to lockdown, and I've accidentally stumbled upon a real love for all things arty. Whilst at home I've been doing a bit of sketching, getting way too into face-painting, doing crafts with the kids and painting my husband's geeky game miniatures. I'm not especially good at any of those things, but that doesn't matter.

Here is my round-up of ways to get creative whilst at home. The good thing about art is that most activities can be adapted for children and adults, so you can do them with your family or on your own. 

I've not tried all of these yet, but if you follow me on Instagram or Facebook I'll be reviewing them on there as I go. 

Enjoy!

The artist Rob Biddulph has created simple follow along YouTube videos. This is one I've done and really enjoyed. See above my cutesy dinosaurs!

2. North Tyneside Art Studios' Art for Mental Health classes
Free art classes streamed live on Facebook. There is one tomorrow that uses the Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums* collection as inspiration - a good one if you miss visiting North East museums and galleries right now.

BALTIC have some good online resources available, and I'm really interested in the sketchbook idea. I think mine will become a hybrid sketchbook/scrapbook, which we will be able to look back on in years to come to remind us of this strange time. 

4. Colouring
I really enjoy colouring, and there are so many beautiful and fun adult (and child) colouring books available. You can get colouring apps, which are nice if you don't have a printer, or want to colour whilst hiding in the bathroom from your kids... which I would never do. Obviously. 
I've also found a few nice downloadable ones recently:
Laing Art Gallery - based on artworks in the collection
Crayola - a good range of intricate designs
Sweary colouring sheets - disclaimer: adults only
Kalma Minds - the founders of Kalma Baby Yoga have been branching out into other wellbeing activities. I love their colour-in Koala to match their brand!

5. Sketch nature
If you're able to get out for a walk in a quiet spot, take a sketch pad and pencil along with you. If you aren't comfortable lingering outdoors, you could also take a photograph to use as inspiration when you get home. One of the first things on my list is a Nature Walk, using this guidance from Great North Museum: Hancock (it's about halfway down the page and the link leads to a PDF download).

This is somewhere I've always wanted to visit but haven't had the chance - now you can take virtual tours from the comfort and safety of home.

The Guardian has been working with museums and galleries across the UK to create a daily art quiz. Even if you aren't very knowledgeable on art, this is a good way to learn some new things!

Now, the name kids is in the title, but actually it's a really accessible way to learn a little bit about art if you're a complete novice. The playlist 'Art Movements' looks really good for learning the basics or different periods in art.

9. Facepaint
This is one I've done a fair few times over the past couple of months! There are lots of ideas on the internet and you can go as simple or as intricate as you like. We bought Colour Art Co. face paints and they are really good - they wash off really easily with just warm water and a flannel which is ideal for young kids.

W wanted LEGO themed facepaint

*Disclaimer: I work for Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums, but I am recommending things based on my interests and not for work purposes. All views are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts